Buffy Sainte-Marie and a diverse lineup of 33 award-winning
and emerging Indigenous artists are all streaming at
Virtual 2 Rivers Remix 2020, September 4 • 5 • 6
[‘Q’emcin Aug 26] The third annual (and first virtual) 2 Rivers Remix (2RMX) Contemporary Indigenous Music Feast will stream out Friday Sept 4 @ 5pm to Sunday Sept 6 @ 11pm. Today Artistic Director Meeka Morgan (Secwepemc/Nuu-Chah-Nulth/Nlaka’pamux) announced the full list of 33 original Indigenous artists for this year’s FREE 3-day virtual feast!
The cultural feast is redlined by an exclusive stream from Indigenous Icon Buffy Sainte-Marie who is a cultural tour-de-force and a tireless social justice activist with multiple JUNO awards and a Polaris Prize as well as being the first Indigenous artist ever to win an Academy Award.
Based in ’Q’emcin (aka Lytton, BC) the 2RMX Virtual Feast 2020’s additional headliner artists (exclusive streams) are: JUNO-winning hip-hop/groove pop trailblazer Kinnie Starr and Snotty Nose Rez Kids, skyrocketing Hip-hop stars whose second and third albums were shortlisted for the Polaris Prize. Special guests include: JUNO-winning Inuit-throat-singing sisters PiqSiq who peform eerie contemporary compositions incorporating live looping; 2-Spirit singer-songwriter Shawnee, winner of CBC Music’s 2020 Searchlight and one of Billboard’s “LGBTQ2 Artists You Should Know”; and Eekwol, award-winning female rapper, academic and activist.
The 2020 2RMX Elder Series includes JUNO-award winner Murray Porter – blues legend across Turtle Island, Helene Duguay– who was a member of Quebec’s original 60s girl-group “The Beatlettes”. Willie Thrasher & Linda Saddleback, and Gordon Dick Sr. will also perform – showcasing their songs from the GRAMMY-nominated historical compilation Native North America: Volume 1.
Did we mention this is ALL FREE?
According to Meeka, 2RMX “reflects the strength and diversity of Indian Country – rural and urban – with approximately half the artists being led by women, one-quarter youth and one-fifth 2-Spirit.” This includes:
• Old Soul Rebel – Fabulous soulful duo featured on CTV’s ‘The Launch’
• Spiritual Warriors – Father and daughter duo singing in their Lil’wat language with a reggae beat – fresh from their album “Ancestors” winning a 2019 Native American Music Award.
• JB the First Lady – Hip-hop artist whose song “Still Here” was listed on CBC Radio as one of the “greatest Vancouver songs of all time”. Performing with Butterflies in Spirit – a dance group drawn from relatives and friends of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.
• Melawmen Collective – Melawmen in Secwepemc language means ‘medicine’, their hip-hop fusion is ‘gathering’ medicine to heal and share.
• Curtis Clearsky & the Constellationz –INDIGIFUNK at it’s danciest with fusions of hip-hop, latin-funk, soul, ska, reggae and blues
• Miss Christie Lee – First Indigenous Poet Laureate of Vancouver and rapper who incorporates her traditional stories and ancient Musqueam dialect
To receive a link to the 2RMX 2020 livestream, register for FREE at VirtualFeast.ca
Now in it’s third year, ’Q’emcín 2 Rivers Remix has been a FREE multi-day outdoor feast of contemporary Indigenous music and culture hosted by the Nlaka’pamux Nation in ‘Q’emcin (aka the Village of Lytton).
2RMX 2020 is part of VirtualFeast.ca, a new indigenous-led online platform to highlight and support streaming of contemporary Indigenous performances in the Summer of COVID-19. VirtualFeast.ca provides a single point of reference and discovery for audiences tuned into the burgeoning BC Indigenous music scene. VirtualFeast.ca is collaborative project of BC Indigenous arts presenters including: 2 Rivers Remix Society, Savage Production Society, Full Circle: First Nations Performance, Vines Festival/Resilient Roots.
What: 2 Rivers Remix Virtual 2020 – 3rd annual, 3-day, 33 artist FREE Feast of Contemporary Indigenous Music and Culture
When: Streaming Friday Sept. 4, Saturday Sept 5, Sunday Sept. 6 @ 5pm-11pm (each day)
Why: BC’s Premier Feast of Contemporary Indigenous Music… and did we mention it’s ALL FREE!
Who: 33 Contemporary Indigenous Musical Artists performing a wide variety of genres
Where: Your usual live-streaming platforms
How: Register for FREE at VirtualFeast.ca! to access exclusive 2RMX streams.
VIRTUAL 2 Rivers Remix: Lineup of Streaming Indigenous Artists (Alphabetical by Day)
FRIDAY SEPT 4 (5-11pm)
• Brandon Peters [St’atimc]
• DJ Kookum [Alexis Nakota Sioux]
• Ecko Aleck [Nlaka’pamux]
• Eekwol [Cree]
• Geo [Secwepemc/Cree]
• JB The First Lady [Nuxalk/Onondaga]
• Keliyah [Sto:lo]
• Kinnie Starr [Mohawk]
• Kiva Morgan-Hall [Secwepemc/Nuu-Chah-Nulth]
• Levi-D [Secwepemc/Cree]
• Lorelai Williams and Butterflies in Spirit
• Miss Christie Lee [Sto:lo]
• Snotty Nose Rez Kids [Haisla]
SATURDAY SEPT 5 (5-11pm)
• Curtis Clear Sky & the Constellationz [Blackfoot/Anishinabe/Maori/Guarani]
• Edzi’u [Tahltan/Tlingit] • Dana Foster [Metis/Cree]
• Helene Duguay [Mi’kmaq]
• Julie Bull [Inuk]
• Kin Balam [Nahua Purulapan Pipil]
• Madelaine McCallum [Metis]
• Murray Porter [Mohawk] • Nimkish [Cree]
• Old Soul Rebel [Cree/Kainai/Ojibwe]
• PiqSiq [Inuit]
• Salt Water Hank [Tsimshian]
• Shawnee [Mohawk]
SUNDAY SEPT 6 (5-11pm)
• Buffy Sainte-Marie [Cree]
• Kalilah Rampanen [Nuu-Chah-Nulth]
• Gordon Dick [St’atimc]
• Hujune [Dakelh]
• Janet Rogers [Mohawk]
• Jason Camp & The Posers [Haida]
• The Melawmen Collective [Secwepemc/Nuu-Chah-Nulth/Nlaka’pamux]
• Sandy Scofield [Cree]
• Simbiyez Wilson & Remi [Wet’suwet’en]
• The Spiritual Warriors [Lil’wat]
• Willie Thrasher & Linda Saddleback [Inuvialuit]
Host: Ronnie Dean Harris [Sto:lo/Nlaka’pamux]
• Welcome/Prayers: Charon Spinks [Nlaka’pamux]
• Welcome Song: Willard Wallace [St’atimc]