Considered to be the Godfather of PowWowStep, DJ-producer Shub continues to pioneer a growing genre of electronic music. Born Dan General, Shub began his career with nationally-acclaimed electronic music trio A Tribe Called Red, performing across North American stages with some of the biggest recording artists in today’s industry and winning a Juno Award in 2014.
Currently based out of his hometown, Fort Erie, Ontario, a small community with a population of 30,000, Shub’s journey has come full circle by bringing him back to where it all started.
“I’m very proud of the road I took to get where I am now,” said Shub, a nominee in the Indigenous Music category at the 2018 Juno Awards for his EP PowWowStep. In 2017, his music video for ‘Indomitable’ (featuring Northern Cree Singers) was also nominated for a Much Music Video Award.
Shub is a Mohawk of the Six Nations reserve located in Ontario, Canada, as well as a husband and father. Since the creation of PowWowStep, he has grown more aware of the Indigenous way of life through his music, merging his heritage with his craft. “This style of music – there is so much culture in it, and that’s what makes it so original,” said Shub.
Before solidifying his seat at the top of the PowWowStep world, Shub also turned heads in DJ competitions like the prestigious DMC World DJ Championships, by winning back-to-back Canadian titles and representing Canada at the world finals in 2007 and 2008. In 2012, Shub came out of battle retirement and competed in the Red Bull Thre3style DJ Competition where he won the Canadian title, and once again represented his home country by placing fifth at the world finals.
• 2017 Native American Music Award, Best Music Video for “Indomitable Ft. Northern Cree Singers”
• 2017 Indigenous Music Awards, Best Instrumental Album for PowWowStep EP by DJ Shub
• 2014 JUNO Awards, Breakthrough Group of the Year for Nation II Nation
• 2013 Polaris Prize shortlist for Nation II Nation
• 2013 Aboriginal Peoples Choice Music Awards, Best Producer, Best Group/Duo, Best PopAlbum, Best Album Cover for Nation II Nation